J. & R.Tennent Ltd Round Alloy
J. & R.Tennent Ltd alloy tray dating from the late 1940s. The Wellpark Brewery is based in Glasgow, Strathclyde.
J. & R.Tennent Ltd alloy tray dating from the late 1940s. The origins of the business date from around 1556, when Robert Tennent was brewing at Drygate Bridge. The modern company, and its Drygate Brewery, was founded In 1740 by H. & R.Tennent. Hugh Tennent's sons, John and Robert, continued the business and traded as J. & R.Tennent from 1769. On Hugh's death in 1776, John and Robert became joint owners. The business expanded in the 1790s including the purchase of William McLehose's adjacent brewery, in 1793. The brewery was renamed the Wellpark Brewery originally producing stout and strong export ales. By the mid 19th century J. & R.Tennent was the world's largest bottled beer exporter. Robert Tennent died in 1826 and John Tennent died in 1827. Robert's eldest son, Hugh Tennent, then assumed control of the business. Hugh Tennent retired in 1855 with his fifth son, Charles Tennent, taking over, but he died in 1864. The Wellpark Brewery was subsequently operated by trustees on behalf of Charles Tennent's sons, Archibald and Hugh. In 1884 Hugh Tennent took control of the company and first brewed Tennent's lager in 1885. He later built a new lager brewery on the Wellpark site, which commenced brewing in 1891. J. & R.Tennent Ltd was registered in 1901 to acquire the estate of the late Hugh Tennent. The first draught lager was brewed in 1924, the first canned lager in 1935, and the first keg lager in 1963. In 1953 J. & R.Tennent Ltd became a public company and formed a subsidiary, West of Scotland Taverns Ltd, to acquire and operate its public houses. In 1960 it acquired Maclachlans Ltd Craigmillar Brewery and over 100 public houses. J. & R.Tennent Ltd and 240 licensed houses were acquired by Charrington United Breweries Ltd in 1963, and in 1966 it merged with United Caledonian Breweries Ltd to form Tennent Caledonian Breweries Ltd. The Wellpark Brewery was redeveloped between 1965 and 1968. In 1967, Charringtons United Breweries Ltd merged with Bass, Mitchells & Butlers Ltd to form Bass Charrington Ltd which was later purchased by Belgian brewer Interbrew in 2000. The company became part of Anheuser-Busch Inbev in 2008. In 2009, Cantrell & Cochrane (C&C) Group plc of Ireland announced a deal to buy the Wellpark Brewery and the Tennent's beer brands from AB-InBEV. In 2014, C&C Group plc and Wlliam Brothers Brewery Co., opened a craft brewery joint venture on the site, called Drygate Brewing Co. The original Wellpark Brewery is still operating. The manufacturer's mark states - B.A.T.Co.Ltd Smethwick. 9959./3
|Tray Manufacturer||B.A.T Co Ltd|
|Year Of Manufacture||1947|
Write Your Own Review