John Jeffrey & Co. Rectangular Black Backed Steel
John Jeffrey & Co. black backed steel tray dating from the 1910s. The Heriot Brewery was based in Edinburgh, Lothian.
John Jeffrey & Co black backed steel tray dating from the 1910s. The original Heriot Brewery based in the Grassmarket, Edinburgh, was purchased by John Jeffrey and his younger brother David, in 1837. The business traded as John Jeffrey & Co. The Grassmarket site soon became cramped and land was purchased at Roseburn, in 1865, where a new maltings, store and cooperage were built. A new brewhouse was added to the Roseburn site in 1880. The old Heriot Brewery continued brewing until 1900 when the site was sold to Heriot-Watt College. The firm was one of the pioneers of lager production in Scotland supplying a large export trade, and it owned public houses in Scotland and the North of England. The company was registered as John Jeffrey & Co. Ltd in 1934. Jeffrey's acquired Edinburgh United Breweries Ltd in 1935. In addition to its own beers, from 1951 Jeffrey's supplied ales and stouts to James Calder & Co. (Brewers) Ltd. Continued favourable trading enabled a new bottling plant to be built at Sighthill, Edinburgh in 1955. John Jeffrey & Co. Ltd became a public company in 1958. In 1960 the business merged with Hammond's United Breweries Ltd and Hope & Anchor Breweries Ltd to form Northern Breweries Ltd, later named Northern Breweries of Great Britain Ltd. Northern Breweries of Great Britain became United Breweries Ltd which merged with Charrington & Co. Ltd in 1964 to form Charrington United Breweries Ltd. Charrington United Breweries Ltd merged with Bass, Mitchells & Butlers Ltd in 1967 to create Bass Charrington Ltd. The Heriot Brewery continued brewing until 1992 when it was closed by Bass plc. The manufacturer's mark states - "Hancor", Mitcham.
|Reverse Finish||Black Backed|
|Tray Manufacturer||Hancor Mitcham|
|Year Of Manufacture||1913|
Write Your Own Review