Andrew Buchan's Breweries Ltd Round Black Backed Steel
Andrew Buchan's Breweries Ltd black backed steel tray dating from 1939. The Rhymney Brewery was based in Rhymney, Mid Glamorgan whilst Crosswell's Cardiff Brewery Ltd, which bottled the beers of Andrew Buchan's Breweries Ltd, was based in Ely, South Glamorgan.
Andrew Buchan's Breweries Ltd black backed steel tray dating from 1939. The company was founded by William Copeland, Chairman of the Rhymney Iron Company, to supply beers to their employees. The Rhymney Brewery began operating in 1839 with Andrew Buchan as its manager. Control of the parent company passed to Powell Duffryn Steam Coal Company in 1920 and the brewing part of the business became a separate concern. This separate brewing arm was registered as Andrew Buchan's Breweries Ltd in 1929. Their famous 'Hobby Horse' trademark dates from the acquisition of D.F.Pritchard Ltd of Crumlin in 1930. In 1938 Andrew Buchan's Breweries Ltd purchased Crosswell's Cardiff Brewery Ltd. Brewing ceased at Crosswell's Brewery in 1947 although bottling contined until 1958. The name of the company was changed to Rhymney Breweries Ltd in 1959. In 1951 Buchan's had started an association with Whitbread & Co. Ltd and in 1966 the Rhymney Brewery, which by this time had become the largest in Wales, was acquired and eventually closed by them in 1978. The manufacturer's mark states - Reginald Corfield Ltd Lombard Road. London. S.W.19.
|Reverse Finish||Black Backed|
|Tray Manufacturer||Reginald Corfield Ltd (Lombard Road)|
|Year Of Manufacture||1938|